Driving Safety Class
- Speeding 25 mph or more above the posted speed limit
- Leaving the scene of a collision
- Passing a school bus
- Any moving violation in a construction zone with workers present
- Must not have taken a driving safety course for a dismissal within twelve months from the date of the offense
- Must not be currently taking the course for another traffic offense
- Must not have a commercial driver’s license
- Complete an affidavit form provided by the Municipal Court
- Pay court costs ($114 for most violations, $139 for school zone violations)
- Present a valid Texas driver's license
- Show proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance)
- Complete a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency. You may choose either a traditional classroom training course or an online course. The online courses have (A) beside their name. Both are 6-hour classes.
- Present your certificate of completion to the court. Allow up to 2 weeks for DPS to mail the certificate to you.
- Present a certified copy of your driving record. Be sure to request 3A certified from the Department of Public Safety. You may immediately print the record
If you fail to provide the court with the required documents, you will have to appear at a Show Cause Hearing before a Municipal Court Judge to explain why you have failed to comply. If you fail to appear at the hearing, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and a conviction of the offense charged will be entered on your driving record.
Click here for form to request by mail.