Welcome to the Children's Services Page
The Zula B. Wylie Library Children's Department serves children, their caregivers, teachers, and members of the general public interested in children's literature. We present weekly programs for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, school-age children and teens. Check out the Ongoing Programs and Special Events tab to see what we have going on!
Annual Special Events
- Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
- Black History Month Celebration
- Spring Break activities
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration
- June to August
- Summer Reading Program
- Science Extravaganza
- Creative Arts Festival
- Scare on the Square
- Dia de Los Muertos Celebration
- Friends Holiday Open House
- Polar Express Party
- Kwanzaa Celebration
- Explorers: Mondays at 10:30 am
- Designed with "soon to be" moms and toddlers in mind.
- Adventurers: Wednesdays at 10:30 am
- Children Ages 3 to 6 will foster a lifelong love of reading by engaging in story time and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) activities.
- Discoverers: Fridays at 10:30 am
- Children ages 2 to 3 explore the six early literacy concepts through fun stories, songs, and crafts.
- Wednesdays, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Children in grades 3 to 6 can receive guided assistance with homework. Sessions are facilitated by a certified teacher.
Tail Wagging Tutors
- 2nd Saturday of the Month at 1:30 p.m.
- Children of all ages are invited to read aloud to friendly, trained dogs from the Dog Training Club of Dallas County.
- Thursdays, 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Children in grades 3 to 6 are invited to learn fun and exciting ways to tell stories.
Early Literacy Stations
We have 2 Early Literacy Stations set up in the children's area of the library. They are all-in-one touchscreen computers designed specifically for children ages 2 to 8.
The AWE Learning software included on these stations provides an expansive library of educational applications that are eclectic and engaging. From Math Doodles to Dora the Explorer, there is something special available for every child's learning preference.
A fun, new reading program that you and your child can access from home! Scholastic BookFlix is an online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks from Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning.
Your children can access it anywhere there is an internet connection. This interactive resource will help them get excited about reading and books and extends learning beyond school hours.
Parents: read about this exciting resource (PDF)!
ScienceFlix combines curriculum-driven leveled content, interactive features, and intuitive navigation into a single, highly engaging mobile and tablet compatible science resource. With its emphasis on the latest Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) thinking and the Next Generation Science Standards, ScienceFlix will transform the way students access science topics, acquire scientific knowledge and build an abiding interest in science, technology, and engineering.
Other Resources & Websites
- SAG Storyline Online
- ABC Mouse Library Edition (for inside the library)