- City Services
- Join Our Team
Join Our Team
The Cedar Hill Police Department is continually seeking ethical, hardworking, quality individuals to join our customer service-oriented team. We are a highly professional, innovative, and recognized law enforcement agency. If you're interested in a challenging and rewarding career with a thriving and diverse North Texas city, we invite you to apply to join our team.
Police Officer Opportunities
Field Training Officer
Emergency Response Team
Defensive Tactics Instructor
Traffic Officer (motorcycle)
Police & Community Team
Crime Scene Officer
Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement
Alcohol Enforcement Officer
The City of Cedar Hill is now accepting applications for the position of Police Officer! TCOLE certification is not required to apply though preference may be given to candidates with a current TCOLE license. TCOLE-certified candidates with two (2) or more years of sworn police experience are eligible for a $10,000 hiring incentive and candidates with less than two (2) years of sworn police experience are eligible for a $5,000 hiring incentive. Restrictions apply.
Salaries & Incentives
Police Officer: $70,000 (Recruit Police Officer in the police academy effective April 22, 2023)
$75,500 - $94,690 (Effective April 23, 2023) - 6 yr step
- A lateral-entry officer may be eligible for a higher starting salary
Incentive Pay: Up to $2,400 annually for:
- Police officer proficiency certifications and college education
Specialized position pay: Up to $2,400 annually
Relocation Assistance: $1,500 for qualified, certified police officers
Lateral Entry Hiring Process
Lateral officer applicants are not required to complete the written exam or row test. (a medical/ drug screen will still be required prior to a final job offer)
- At least three (3) years of continuous service as a paid full-time peace officer (includes hospital, college/university, and ISD police)
- At least two (2) years of patrol experience including enforcing laws, investigating crimes, making arrests, and carrying a firearm
- No pending disciplinary actions or investigations for misconduct/criminal activity
- Out-of-State officers must be TCOLE certified by the time of job acceptance.
The Chief of Police or his designee will make the final determination about whether an applicant meets eligibility standards.
Lateral appointments will start at up to $84,976 based on experience. (Effective 4-22-23)
Lateral officer applicants will be required to complete the following steps:
- Obtain TCOLE certification if necessary
- Submit application
- Submit personal history statement and pre-polygraph examination packet
- Background check
- Oral review board
- Psychological exam
- Medical/drug screening
The online application is open until a sufficient number of qualified candidates apply. This position may close at any time, without notice.
First Responder Resiliency Program
The First Responder Resiliency Program is a wellness initiative designed to provide first responders with the tools they need to maintain their mental health. The program includes free counseling services for officers who need assistance processing critical incidents, training to develop a trauma-informed first responder community, and participation in a critical incident stress management regional response team to assist surrounding agencies during times of crisis.
An additional part of the department's wellness initiative includes time for working out on-duty so you will be able to stay in top shape physically.
Tattoos, Beards, and Outer Vest Carriers
Policing in a diverse community like Cedar Hill means hiring officers who look like the community we serve. In an effort to better reflect that goal and to enhance our officers' quality of work-life, we recently modified our policies to allow officers to wear facial hair and exposed tattoos (some restrictions apply).
We also realize having the right equipment means equipment that promotes the long-term health of our officers. For this reason, our patrol officers are able to wear load-bearing vests to ease the strain on their backs often associated with carrying equipment on belts (some restrictions apply).
Promotional Opportunities Include:
Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Assistant Police Chief
- Must be 21 years of age at the time of conditional job offer
- Requires high school/GED required. Candidates with prior military or law enforcement experience must have been honorably discharged, as reflected on discharge forms (DD214 for military service, F5 for law enforcement service, or equivalent). College credit is not required to apply, however, candidates with less than 30 college credit hours will be required to attend the Law Enforcement Academy for college credit, meeting all necessary college admission requirements and requirements for continued enrollment during the academy.
- Must not have illegally possessed or used marijuana within the last year
- Must not have ever illegally possessed or used any controlled substance other than Marijuana in the last 5 years
- Good moral character & stable employment history
- Valid Texas driver's license with a good driving record
- Must never have been convicted of, received deferred adjudication or probation for, a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, theft, family violence, or for any felony
- Must not have been convicted within the last five years of, or received deferred adjudication or probation for driving while intoxicated, fleeing from the police, or resisting arrest
- No convictions for a Class B misdemeanor, for any reason, within the last ten years
- No convictions for a felony or Class A misdemeanor, for any reason, ever
- Must not currently be under indictment for any criminal offense
- Must be able to obtain U.S. Citizenship by the time of conditional job offer
- Must be able to pass a physical exam administered by the City’s designated physician
Expedited Police Officer Hiring Process
Upon submission of a completed application, candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be scheduled for a one-day testing process which includes:
- Written Test - Standardized Test
- Rowing Test - 2000m
- Preliminary interview
- Electronic Personal History Statement set-up (10-day completion deadline)
Candidates who successfully complete the above-listed items and submit their Personal History Statement within the time frame will immediately enter the background investigation stage. The time frame for completion of the background stage varies based on a number of factors. We strive to complete the background investigation typically within 3-4 weeks.
As long as no disqualifying events are discovered during the background investigation, a candidate will be scheduled for the following steps as soon as possible.
- Oral Board
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological examination
- Fingerprint submission
- Medical Screening
- Interview with the Chief
- Final Job offer
The City of Cedar Hill offers a comprehensive benefits plan designed to meet the needs of all our employees:
- long-term disability insurance to employees at no cost
- Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
- Employees contribute 7%
- City matches contribution 2 to 1
- Employees are vested in only five (5) years, and have the option of a 20-year retirement, any age
- Social Security
- (Visit TMRS for more information)
- ICMA is a deferred compensation available to employees as an optional retirement plan for those who want to contribute additional funds and control where those funds are invested. Visit ICMA for more information.
- 11 holidays per year
- 12 days of sick leave per year
- 12 days of vacation leave 1st year, 15 days till 10 year anniversary, 20 days thereafter
- Paid Military Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Credit Union
- Longevity Pay
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Direct Deposit
- Uniforms/ Duty Weapon/ Leather Gear