Winter Storm Recovery

Bottled Water

For Cedar Hill residents still without water, free bottled water is available at Fire Station 211 (1212 W. Belt Line Rd).

Storm Damage/Insurance Questions

FEMA Disaster Assistance - Cedar Hill residents are eligible for individual assistance through FEMA for damages from this severe winter storm.  If you are insured, you must file an insurance claim first, and you may be eligible for assistance for losses not covered by insurance. If you do not have insurance, apply now for assistance at the link or number below.

Call: 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585)

Texas Department of Insurance - They can provide contact information for your insurance company or help with questions about how to file a claim. Call the Help Line from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time, Monday to Friday: 800-252-3439 or visit

Registered Plumbers - Plumbers are in high demand in Cedar Hill as residents work to repair damage from winter storms. Licensed plumbers are required to register with the City of Cedar Hill to perform repairs. A list of current registered plumbers is available for quick reference. However, if a licensed plumber is not on this list and is wanting to perform work, registration is required.  Please call Building Inspections at 972-291-5100 ext. 1090 or email for more information or questions. 

Report Price Gouging - It’s illegal to charge excessive prices for building materials and necessities to take advantage of a disaster. Report suspected price gouging to the Office of the Attorney General

Food Assistance

This is a list of agencies providing food support in Cedar Hill:

Cedar Hill Shares403 Houston StCedar
CYFS402 Lee StCedar Hill877-824-5439 ext 2
Goodness and Grace310 S. Clark RdCedar Hill972-293-3100


  • Many Texans are experiencing high electric bills, below is some information that may help in the recovery process.
    • Stop auto-payment of your bill either by removing information from your online account or working with your bank directly.
    • Check with your energy provider to determine if you are on a fixed rate or variable plan and understand the charges you might be facing.
    • If you are on a variable plan with no protections, you may want to work with your provider to see if you can retroactively change your plan to a fixed rate.
    • The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program Clearinghouse National Energy Assistance Referral (NEAR) project is a free service for those who want information on where to apply for Low Income Home Energy Assistance. The toll-free number for NEAR is 1-866-674-6327, or TTY 1-866-367-6228. 

To file a complaint regarding your electric utility bill, you may contact the Public Utility Commission, Customer Protection Division at

Disabled Texans 

Disabled Texas can reach out to the Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies for resources and information. The organization can be contacted via email at info@disasterstrategies or at the 24/7 disability and disaster hotline at 800-626-4959.

Water Leaks/Shut-offs

In the event of a water leak or damaged pipes, if you can find your house shut-off valve, you can shut if off yourself (reference the diagram below). DO NOT ATTEMPT to access the meter box. If you need assistance in shutting off your water, contact Utility Services during regular business hours at 469-272-2931 or after hours at 972-780-6643. 

House shut off

Coping with Disaster

We all went through a very difficult situation during the winter storm event. You’re probably trying to make sense of what happened and deal with the stress of the situation. These events create a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety for those directly and indirectly affected. Learn about the common reactions experienced after disaster and tips for coping:

The national Disaster Distress Helpline (call or text 1-800-985-5990; for Spanish, press “2”) is dedicated to providing crisis counseling and support 24/7/365 for anyone in the U.S./territories experiencing emotional distress or other mental health concerns related to any natural or human-caused disaster. Callers can connect with DDH hotline counselors in 100+ additional languages via third-party interpretation services. People who are Deaf or hard of hearing can use the text option, or for TTY, use their preferred Relay service or dial 7-1-1 and then 1-800-985-5990.