Waste 101: The Basics About Your Trash Service
Waste Management provides trash & recycling services for the City of Cedar Hill. Please contact Waste Management Customer Service at 972-315-5400 for trash and recycling issues.
Each single family home is provided a green 96-gallon cart with a yellow lid for recyclable materials and a green 96-gallon cart with a green lid for household trash. All trash and recyclable materials must be inside the cart with the cart lid properly closed. Materials left outside carts will not be collected if they contain anything but acceptable recyclable materials.
Carts must be placed at the curb - or in the alley, if an alley collection - by 7 a.m. on your collection day. Carts may be set out before 6 p.m. or one hour before sunset the night before pickup, whichever is earlier.
Residents may elect to lease an additional 96-gallon cart for $3.25 per month per cart. To request a trash or recycling cart, submit a request or call the Customer Service Department at 972- 291-5100 ext. 1005. Need lids or wheels replaced on your current cart(s)? Simply click here to submit a request for a Cart Repair. You can also submit many other requests using the My Cedar Hill App.
Important Note About Parking
Parking too close to the alleyway can block trash collection vehicles from servicing your home. Make sure all visitors and residents park more than 25 feet from the alley entrance/exit on both the alley side of the street and the opposite side of the street. (City Ordinance No. 2019-674).
Cart Placement Instructions
- Place carts within one foot from the curb - or fence, if in any alley - with the handles facing the home or fence.
- Give carts plenty of space. The automated control arms need at least three feet of space on all sides of your carts in order to pick them up. Keep trash and recycling carts at least three feet apart and at least five feet from cars, mail boxes, gas meters, and other nearby objects.
- Trash must be contained. Place your trash in securely-tied plastic bags. All bags must fit inside the cart with the lid closed. Any trash left on top of or beside the cart will not be collected.
- Set it out by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
Bulk & Brush Collection
Effective March 1, 2020, bulk items and brush are collected together all in one pile once per month and are limited to 10 cubic yards.
Acceptable bulk items include appliances, furniture, fence sections, or other residential items too large for a container.
Bulk items do not include construction debris, hazardous waste, vehicles, parts, or tires, televisions or computers, or items larger than 7 feet.
Bulk and green waste must be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on the Monday morning of your collection week. Waste Management may collect your items any day of the scheduled week. Refer to the Collection Schedule and map to determine your collection week (PDF).
Once per quarter, at no cost, residents may take materials such as fencing, brush, and construction debris to the Waste Management landfill, 1201 N. Central Avenue, Ferris, Tx. The maximum quantity for disposal at no charge is three cubic yards per visit.
Residents will need to present their most recent utility bill and a drivers license with the same address shown on the bill. The landfill is open from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and from 6 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. The landfill is closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
By recycling everyday items, tons of raw materials, time, energy, and money are saved. Follow these tips to Recycle Often. Recycle Right.
- Place only acceptable recyclables together (shown below) in your recycling cart. No sorting needed.
- Containers should be rinsed and free of food and liquid.
- Do not put recyclables in plastic bags.
- Chipboard, boxboard, cardboard, and brown paper bags
- Paper cardboard, dairy and juice containers
- Tin and aluminum cans, foil, and empty aerosol cans
- Plastic bottles and containers
- Glass bottles and jars
- Junk mail, office and school paper, phone books, books, catalogs, magazines and newspapers
Do Not Recycle:
- Food waste and liquids
- Plastic wraps or bags
- Foam products
- Hazardous waste
For more recycling information, refer to WM’s Recycle Often Recycle Right website.
Waste Management will not collect solid or liquid hazardous waste, including paint, pesticides, motor oil, solvents, televisions or computers, and explosive items. The City of Cedar Hill offers hazardous waste collection, electronics recycling, and paper shredding events quarterly. Residents can also drop off hazardous items at the Mansfield Environmental Collection Center. Visit cedarhilltx.com/hhw for more information.
Holiday & Inclement Weather Make-up Days
Waste Management observes three holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
For 2021, the only holiday that will impact service is Thanksgiving. Those normally serviced on Thursday, November 25, will be collected on Friday, November 26 and those normally collected on Friday, November 26 will be collected on Saturday, November 27. When trash pickup is missed due to a holiday or inclement weather, service schedules for that week will be affected. Visit cedarhilltx.com/trash or call Waste Management at (972) 315-5400.
When trash pickup is missed due to a holiday or inclement weather, service schedules for that entire week may be affected.