The mission of the Planning Department is to facilitate the physical growth and development of the City in a sustainable manner that reflects its unique and vibrant character. This is accomplished through:
- Long Range Planning that reflects the needs and desires of the community
- Development of implementation and enforcement strategies that effectively implements City Plans
- Thorough coordination and review of development proposals and applications
The Planning Department will be an objective-oriented, empowering division that, through a collaborative and veracious work ethic, creates the utmost public service and environment for the Cedar Hill community.
We envision Cedar Hill as a vibrant, well-planned community that provides:
- Professionalism - A planning approach in the consistent and judicious use of communication, knowledge, technical skills, critical reasoning, accuracy, and teamwork in daily practice for the benefit of the individual and community being served.
- Innovation - A planning approach and operational culture that encourages and empowers continuous progression of the exploration and adoption of new techniques, technologies, solutions, and methods of functioning to improve results, meet new and existing needs, and lead change.
- Integrity - A planning approach that denotes honesty, communication, and accountability. It is recognized as a means of ensuring and informing every stakeholder of the ongoing pursuit of a collective vision. Through exposing the products and procedures that is conducted within the department, the boundaries of responsibility and actions are rendered visible.
- Community - A planning approach that integrates active participation of those affected, and living and interacting with the end-product. It is recognized as synthesizing ideas and public input into tangible concepts, and responding in an unbiased manner, creating true value.
- Sustainability – A planning approach that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It is designed with the accountability for environmental impacts, the reduction of the required resources (i.e. Energy, Water, and Food), as well as the reduction of waste production (i.e. Heat, and Water and Air Pollution).